Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Palestine

PALESTINE


by Marvin X


(El Muhajir)



I am not an Arab, I am not a Jew


Abraham is not my father, Palestine is not my home


But I would fight any man


Who kicked me out of my house


To dwell in a tent


I would fight


To the ends of the earth


Someone who said to me


I want your house


Because my father lived here


Two thousand years ago


I want your land


Because my father lived here


Two thousand years ago.


Jets would not stop me


From returning to my home


Uncle toms would not stop me


Cluster bombs would not stop me


Bullets I would defy.


No man can take the house of another


And expect to live in peace


There is no peace for thieves


There is no peace for those who murder


For myths and ancient rituals


Wail at the wall


Settle in "Judea" and "Samaria"


But fate awaits you


You will never sleep with peace


You will never walk without listening.


I shall cross the River Jordan


With Justice in my hand


I shall return to Jerusalem


And establish my house of peace,


Thus said the Lord.




© 1976 by Marvin X ( El Muhajir)


Marvin X is an Oakland (CA) based African-American poet/playwright/activist, one of the
founders of
the Black Arts Movement. According to Dr. Mohja Kahf, he
is the father of Muslim American Literature. Bob Holman calls him “The
USA’s Rumi." Ishmael Reed calls him “Plato teaching on the streets of Oakland.
Marvin X has Academy of Da Corner, downtown Oakland at 14th and Broadway,
outside. He also tours and speaks nationwide at universities and colleges, most
recently at Howard University, Morehouse College, Spelman College, University of Virginia,
University of Houston, University of Penn, Temple University, Medgar Evers College, University of Arkansas and elsewhere. He has taught at San Francisco State University, University of California, Berkeley, University of California, San Diego, Fresno State University, Mills College, University of Nevada, Reno. He has received writing fellowships from Columbia University and the National Endowment

for the Arts and planning grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities. His website link is http://www.parablesandfablesofmarvinx.blogspot.com .His recent book is The Wisdom of Plato Negro, Parables/fables, Black Bird Press, Berkeley, 2010. His archives were acquired by the Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

No comments:

Post a Comment